Welcome!

I've created this page to enable my friends and family to keep track of my training and competitions. Most of my posts will be related to training, traveling, and competing but I'll put in other interesting things as they occur. Look for new posts, pictures, and video at least once a week!







Monday, May 23, 2011

Fast Forward - Part 2

Upon returning from the holiday break, I was cleared to start athletic activity by the surgeon. I had to start slow but over the course of January, February, and March, I swam, jogged, biked, and lifted my way back into shape. My first meet was at the training center on April 14. I only threw discus but opened up the season at 61.87m (203'), significantly better than my opener in 2010 of 56.81m (186'). I threw next at Drake Relays on April 30th. I strained my groin twice in the weeks leading up to Drake so I was apprehensive about competing, especially in both events. Discus went rather well and shot went rather poorly. I won the disc with a throw of 61.40m (201'), by far my best career performance at Drake stadium. My groin started hurting while warming up for the shot and about all I could think about during the event was not injuring it further, having already lost two weeks of training because of it. Next, I threw both events at another meet at the Training Center. I threw the shot 19.94m (65' 5") and the discus 62.22m (204'). The Tucson Elite came next, offering two throwing opportunities for each event. The competitions were on May 19th and 21st. I really like competing at the Tucson meet every year. It's a throws only meet and the atmosphere is great for big throws. It's also held in the afternoon and evening so it isn't too hot and we get to throw shot under the lights. On the first day, I threw the disc 60.55m (198' 8") and shot 19.77 (64' 10"). On the second day, I threw the disc 60.49m (198' 5") and the shot 20.28m (66' 6"). On my last throw I went from 3rd to 1st and ended up winning. I can't remember the last time I came back to win a competition on my last throw. I think the weekend was a turning point for my season as I identified the trouble areas in my technique which I'll spend the next several weeks working on. Also, my throws have caught up to where I was at around this time last year (pre-surgeries). I still feel a lot of soreness from the sports hernia repair but my wrist and hand feel great. I'm working on a daily basis to mobilize scar tissue, as well as increasing flexibility and range of motion. All of which will help me get and stay healthy for the rest of the season. The best news is: after this post, I'm all caught up to present day on my blog posts! Thanks for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment